Saturday, August 17, 2013

Yin-Yang and other truths...it is personal!

I believe that there can't be anything without its opposing force (or complimentary force if you're a 'glass half full' kind of person!): day-night, water-fire, man-woman, yin-yang; therefore, I must also accept that for a person to experience true joy they must also face grief.

I have been consciously and sub-consciously contemplating this post since late May when I experienced a great personal loss.  This will NOT be a post detailing what happened or why; rather, I simply want to address a couple of things that I hold very dear, and I also wish to express, in writing, that I am Just.Like.You.

I have been 'feeling my way' on the social media platform for the past three or four years.  On November 7, 2010, in my second blog post here (and second of my life), I wrote this:
"As this blog-thing is new to me, I have spent a lot of time over the past week or so contemplating just what to share, and the possibilities are, obviously, limitless.  So, I've decided on some parameters which, when written down, seem to be best encapsulated by 'general goodwill'.  I want to share what I am learning, to show what I'm working on, and to elevate the conversation (hopefully) to a tone of positive attitude and caring.  So, we may go on tangents (Lord knows I am good at that!), but you may rely on this being a place you can spend a minute during your busy day without hearing me whine, complain or lay blame."
I have believed since day one that social media can inform, uplift, and entertain...but the opposite of all those wonderful impacts is true too.  I am proud that I have chosen, and continue to choose, the path of light, goodwill, and generosity everyday (with the occasional slip when something really pisses me off!) :)

All that said, these past few months have been exceedingly difficult for me and my family.  However, the reminders of all that is beautiful in my life and in the world have absolutely buoyed me.  I pay great respect to the path I've led, through Bella Faccia and now Bella Forza, over these past few years as I believe that my daily choice to be positive and to encourage women to feel empowered/beautiful/strong has helped me immeasurably in overcoming what has been the greatest heartbreak of my life.  

I BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF OPTIMISM, POSITIVE THOUGHT, and GRACE. 

Obviously I'm human and suffer moments (or a tad longer) of acting in a way that is, shall we say, less than graceful; but we learn, we grow, we improve, and we step forward...and we needn't apologize for being 'works in progress' as every individual on earth is learning as they go too!

A few months ago I received a private note through Facebook from someone I haven't met in person, but who is known to me through friends.  I am going to believe that the message was meant to be inquisitive, based on this person's support over the past few years, regardless of the crass way it was written.  Essentially, this subscriber of mine on my personal page, who also receives updates from both of my Facebook business pages, had learned of my loss and wrote to me asking why I was being 'so disingenuous' with my posts, citing that they had been "too positive given what you are actually living"...the fact is that I am not disingenuous, in fact I feel extraordinary joy that I have been able to see the beauty around me whilst also suffering sadness.  I value the quality of sincerity as highly as I value trust, integrity, and goodwill...I wish to express, publicly, that when you read a post of mine - whether it is my written word or something that I've shared - I MEAN for you to read it and for us, collectively, to feel uplifted. That was my goal when I started and I am only more fervent in my pursuit of 'beautiful' now!

I recently read this quote by Rumi: 
"Learn the alchemy true human beings know.  The moment you accept what troubles you've been given, the door will open."  
Indeed, I do believe that masking pain, hiding from truth, and living a lie are all terribly unhealthy and unhelpful in living your best life.  We should be able to answer truthfully when someone asks us how we are; that said, I also hope that we choose to answer with infinite hope.  So, friends, I can say that I have been sad and hurt, and I can say that some days have felt heavy in ways I cannot adequately articulate - not unlike what every human being faces at some point in their lives;  however, I can also say that I am full of hope, optimism, and joy for the blessings I experience each day.  I am truly grateful for so much that I couldn't possibly list it here.  
I really wanted an awesome shot of me and my kids from yesterday's adventure...
and I got one; this picture makes me smile every time I look at it!
© Bella Faccia Photography/Lori M. Maloney
I do believe that LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL and I am happy to share why with any of you, on any day, and in any venue!  In the meantime, let's keep celebrating each other, our talents and foibles!

With gratitude, 

Lori


7 comments:

  1. Here here, Lori! That's the loveliest thing I've read in a long while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind words, Amanda; thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this blog! You are such a strong and vibrant woman and I continue to see this in you everyday!
    Life is a gift!
    Bad things do happen; how you respond to them defines your character and the quality of your life. You can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of your loss, or you can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift you have - life itself.
    YOU ARE AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello lovely! You are always so thought full, and thoughtful in your writings and indeed in all of your actions. It is an honour to have you as my friend. Your continuous uplifting attitude, even in times of adversity, make me also strive to be more thought full, and thoughtful, in my actions. Life IS beautiful. Keep up the good work. k xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so touched by your generous words and support, ladies...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful ..... just so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can honestly say that each of your comments have felt like warm hugs...my thanks to each of you fabulous ladies! xx Lori

      Delete